Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Switching Costs

Anyone even remotely familiar with economics, competition, or even what's made Microsoft so successful is familiar with the concept of switching costs. Essentially, switching costs are incurred when a particular tool or technology becomes so entrenched that the cost to the customer to switch (in learning time, productivity, compatibility, etc) to a new tool or technology outweighs the benefit of switching. This is a technology company's dream.

Unfortunately for MSN Spaces, that was not the case for me. I've posted 1 blog there (my First!) but have to admit I was less than thrilled with the total appearance, and even less so with the fact that I kept experiencing a "catastrophic error" (Microsoft's words, not mine) when I would try to log back into the page.

So, Blogger, here I am. I have to admit, I almost didn't switch when I couldn't get my traditional user name. Unbelievably, charpopp was already taken. So was charpopp72 (is there another one of me out there??). That's okay - at least I could still use it for my blog address - and my user only matters to me.

Hopefully my first day experiences at Blogger will be better than MSN. And hopefully I can now escape the ridicule (or good natured ribbing) of my more experienced blogging friends.

Am I officially a blogger now?

No comments: